February 5, 1994:

Former Manchester City player Francis Lee salutes the Maine Road faithful after becoming chairman of the club.
The occasion was the Premier League match against Ipswich. City won 2-1 with goals from Garry Flitcroft and Carl Griffiths.
Lee was popular with the fans who formed a ‘Forward With Franny’ movement to replace previous chairman Peter Swales.
City were relegated under manager Alan Ball, who was appointed by Lee in July 1995.
Lee stepped down in 1998, just before City were relegated again to Division Two. He was succeeded by David Bernstein.

February 7, 1970:

Manchester United winger George Best torments the Northampton Town defence on his way to scoring six goals in the fifth-round FA Cup tie.
United went on to win 8-2 at the County Ground with the other two goals coming from Brian Kidd.
The Red Devils were knocked out by Leeds United in an epic three-match semi-final. The initial match and first replay were drawn 0-0 with Leeds winning the second replay 1-0.
Best finished the season as top scorer with 23 goals in all competitions.

February 10, 1966:

Fashion icon Mary Quant, centre, leads her models in a game of ring-o-roses round a lamp post in Market Street after a photo-shoot at Lewis’s store.
The models quickly realised their hands had got dirty from the city soot and grime and had to rush back to Lewis’s to wash before their next show!

February 8, 1965:

Manchester United fullback Tony Dunne chats with Liverpool manager Bill Shankly and winger Ian Callaghan before the pair board their plane at Manchester airport.
The Liverpool team were flying to Germany to take on FC Koln in the European Cup. The match ended in a 0-0 as did the return leg at Anfield. The Reds won the replay 2-0.
Liverpool eventually went out 3-4 on aggregate to Inter Milan.
The honour of being the first English team to win the European Cup went to United, who beat Benfica 4-1 at Wembley in 1968.

February 6, 1971:

Manchester City midfielder Ian Bowyer challenges Arsenal defender Peter Simpson during their First Division clash at Highbury.
City lost the match 0-1 and went on to finish 11th in the league.
Bowyer later featured in an epic European Cup Winners’ Cup tussle with Gornik Zabrze of Poland.
The two-leg tie finished all square at 2-2 and a replay was staged at the neutral Parken Stadium in Copenhagen. There were no penalty shoot-outs then!
City won 3-1 but then lost to Chelsea 0-2 on aggregate in the semi-final.

February 2, 1981:

Snooker player Alex ‘Hurricane’ Higgins breezes into Manchester airport after winning the Masters’ tournament at Wembley Conference Centre.
Pushing the trolley is fellow professional John Spencer.
Higgins, who lived in Cheadle, was world champion in 1972 and 1982 and runner-up in 1976 and 1980.