January 17, 1959

Children from St Luke’s Primary School in Manchester are having a ball sledging and playing in a batch of freshly fallen snow.

The youngsters had been saving threepence a week to pay for a picnic in the winter countryside. Teacher Miss Ethel Parkinson organised the trip.

It was the first time many of the children had seen proper snow as it soon became dirty and turned to slush on Manchester’s inner city streets, particularly when the fog and smog came down.

January 20, 1962

Manchester United and England midfielder Bobby Charlton makes a young fan’s day ahead of the Reds’ match against Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane.

Charlton and manager Matt Busby met 13-year-old Leslie Ripley of Barking, who was attending his first match. On the left is George Coote who brought Leslie to the stadium.

The match ended in a 2-2 draw with United’s goals coming from Charlton himself and Nobby Stiles. Jimmy Greaves scored twice for Spurs.

Bobby Charlton, of Manchester United, meets young fan Leslie Ripley of Barking, East London. 13 year old Leslie went to his first football match today, at the Tottenham Hotspur ground White Hart Lane, for their home game against Manchester United, and was introduced to Bobby Charlton before the match.
Next to Bobby, wearing the hat is Manchester United manager Matt Busby, and to the left is Mr George Coote who bought young Leslie to the match.
The match finished a 2-2 draw with both Tottenham goals from Jimmy Greaves and Manchester United goals from Bobby Charlton and Nobby Stiles.
Picture taken 20th January 1962

January 25, 1995:

: Manchester City forward Paul Walsh challenges Leicester City ‘keeper Kevin Poole during the sides’ Premier League clash at Maine Road.

Walsh’s efforts were in vain as Leicester won the match 1-0 with a goal from Mark Robins. The victory was a rare bright spot for Leicester as they ended up being relegated.

City, under manager Brian Horton, finished in 17th position with 49 points. Walsh scored 12 league goals and strike partner Uwe Rosler netted 15.

Horton was replaced by Alan Ball at the end of the season.

Manchester City verses Leicester City, at Maine Road, Manchester, United Kingdom.
Picture shows Manchester City player Paul Walsh robbing Leicester City keeper Kevin Poole of the ball.
Final score was Leicester City 1 – Manchester City – 0
Picture taken Wednesday evening, 25th January 1995