Red and Blue Enjoy Magic Cup Moments

by | Jan 31, 2018 | Football

Many of Manchester’s most memorable FA Cup matches have lit up the cold, dark month of January. iNostalgia recalls a few of the best

It’s a damp, gloomy January in 1955 and City have just taken the field at a muddy Maine Road.

Around 75,000 fans are packed into the ground for the fourth round FA Cup clash with arch rivals United.

Anticipation is high as City pit their renowned ‘Revie plan’ attacking formation against Matt Busby’s increasingly youthful team.

The ‘Revie plan’ was named after Don Revie who became the first deep-lying centre forward in England. It worked well for City. Revie was voted Footballer of the Year as a result.But United’s famous Busby Babes team was ominously starting to take shape. Duncan Edwards, Roger Byrne, Bill Foulkes and Ray Wood were all on the pitch that Saturday.

Joe Hayes opened the scoring for City in the 60th minute with the maestro himself, Don Revie, adding a second in the 88th. The final score was 2-0.

United’s centre-half Allenby Chilton was sent off even though City’s Ken Barnes protested his rival’s innocence.

Half-back Barnes later wrote about the cup match in his book This Simple Game.

‘It was the kind of game you dream of playing in as a professional footballer,’ he said. ‘A cup derby against United in a stadium so packed you couldn’t hear yourself think.’

City went on to lose the Cup Final 1-3 to Newcastle that season, but were victors in 1956 beating Birmingham City 3-1. Another success for the Revie plan.

United watch Don Revie head the ball

Don Revie with United legends Roger Byrne and Duncan Edwards, January 1955.

Six years later, City lost 2-0 away to Everton in a misty FA Cup tie at Goodison Park in January 1962. Our photo shows keeper Bert Trautmann claiming the ball after a shot had come in from Roy Vernon.

The defeat was no disgrace for City. Everton were building a powerful team leading into 1962-3 season which saw them crowned First Division champions. City were relegated.

Trautmann is well supported by Manchester City defenders as he catches a shot from Vernon

City keeper Bert Trautmann saves a shot from Everton’s Roy Vernon, January 1962.

United legend George Best beat three defenders in the FA Cup third round match against Derby County at the Baseball Ground in January 1966. Our photo shows the throng of white shirts paralysed by his footwork.

Best scored two goals in an exciting 5-2 victory, the others coming from Denis Law (2) and David Herd. United reached the semi-final of the competition, going out 0-1 to Everton.

George Best in action to beat three defenders

George Best dances through the Derby defence, January 1966.

One of City’s most memorable cup wins was the 3-0 defeat of Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in January 1971. Colin Bell scored twice with the third coming from Ian Bowyer.City gained another third round FA Cup success when they beat Leeds United 2-1 at Elland Road in January 1978. Peter Barnes and Dennis Tueart were on target for the Blues.

Our photo shows Brian Kidd looking on as City score. Leeds full-back Paul Reaney and keeper David Harvey are powerless to stop the shot.

Crowd troubled marred the game as Leeds fans invaded the pitch from the Geldard Road end after the second goal. The match was held up for 15 minutes.

Leeds' Brian Kidd watches on as City score

City’s Brian Kidd watches his team score against Leeds United, January 1979.

There was no trouble a year later when City played away to Shrewsbury Town in the FA Cup fourth round – apart from the score! Overwhelming favourites City lost 0-2 to the Third Division club.

City goalkeeper Joe Corrigan comes out to try and stop another Shrewsbury goal

Joe Corrigan fails to avoid a cup upset at Shrewsbury, January 1979.

Corrigan was having a much better time of it when City beat Cardiff 3-1 in the FA Cup third round at Maine Road in January 1982. Trevor Francis scored twice and Bobby McDonald got the third.

English FA Cup Third round match at Maine Road

Cardiff City test Joe Corrigan in the City goal, January 1982.

United were on the front foot when they beat Luton Town 2-0 away in January 1983. Kevin Moran and Remi Moses were the scorers.

It turned out to be a brilliant season for the Red Devils as they won the FA Cup beating relegated Brighton 4-0 in the replay after drawing the first game 2-2.

Luton 0 v. Manchester United 2

United keeper Gary Bailey in action against Luton Town, January 1983.

There were more United celebrations in January 1996 when United beat Reading 3-0 away at Elm Park in the fourth round.

Eric Cantona was captured in classic pose, collar turned up, after scoring United’s third. The other goals came from Andy Cole and Paul Scholes.

United did the double in the 1995-6 season, winning the Premier League and beating Liverpool 1-0 in the FA Cup Final. They also became the first English team to win the double twice.

Eric Cantona and Andy Cole

Eric Cantona in trademark pose with Andy Cole as United beat Reading, January 1996.

But no United player could match the jubilant celebration of Gary Neville after United had beaten Liverpool 2-1 in a thrilling FA Cup fourth round tie at Old Trafford in January 1999.

The full-back was ecstatic at the final whistle after United snatched two goals in the last two minutes to win the match.

The smash-and-grab raid was completed by Dwight Yorke and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer after Michael Owen had scored after just two minutes for the visitors.

FA Cup 4th Round match at Old Trafford.

Gary Neville is ecstatic after United beat Liverpool with two last-gasp goals, January 1999.

Many more memorable images of the past can be found in Clive Hardy’s brilliant book Around Manchester in the 1970s.

It’s crammed with more than 300 photos and illustrations that truly bring the decade to life.